Sunday, June 01, 2008

Artificial Life

On the baffling mystery that life is; Maya, Matrix, Brain in the VAT, AI. Maddening. Hopeless. Senseless. I dont know what else to say.


What would it be like?
If we existed as bits and bytes.
Trapped in the matrix,
Programmed onto microchips,
A product of strong AI.
With existential doubts packaged as a part of life,

Is this what it feels like to be alive?
Is the questioning mind a mere proof of life?
What if the questions are being inputted by some sadistic AI Encoder in Vanilla Sky?

We won’t be able to break into the real dimension,
but have the perpetual urge to subside,
Will without capacity?
This seems to be a perpetual torture,
A puzzle to which I subscribed when I got inebriated by Maya’s eyes.
We’re mere puppets, mere pawns in the hands of the fate,
The design they developed sitting in the proverbial skies.
We’re helpless! Free will’s a lie,

Are we machines, or were we taken over by them and reduced to mere raw material to sustain their “lives”,
would we survive the destruction of the object whose scope has expired?

Why would I want to live that life?
I question myself as I wonder if I was ever alive,
Does the world really exists the way it unfolds in front of my eyes,
Why was I subjected to this strife?
This existence if not altogether pointless, is incomprehendible,
Seems hopeless, if not cruel and unkind,

If this is life, what would hell be like?
It’s all so meaningless,
You lead a purposeless death and then you die,

What about artists?
Is the shit they come up with also pre transpired?
Maybe it’s all scripted.
Or maybe I should shut up coz my brain cells seem to have expired.

Do I have to make peace with the fact that I might never get the answers and still make it the purpose of my life?
Run behind in pursuit of an utopian dream that was written for me,
I think I should just shut up and get on with my *huh* “life”.

Life! The perpetual irony; the unrelenting mystery; the gift and the eternal strife.
I wonder if we can uncover all the substrates of existence and design life,
But then again, would that be life?

9 comments:

NRkey Menon said...

If someone offered you a choice to see reality. Would you put everything you have now on the line and risk it by going off to some unknown world that apparently is "Reality"?

Is there any Individuality?
Is there any real Randomness?

The only chaos might be the human brain(512GB's of it!).

Aman said...

I think I would. Coz I dont think I'd be able to live with the fact that I'm living an illusion. But I would also like to be sure that I am being liberated and shown the door to "reality" and it is not another illusion in which I'll be trapped.

I dont know what you want to ask by what you mean to ask when you ask about existence of individuality. But individuality does exist. It is a choice but beneath the uniqueness of humans, there exists a layer of human personality.

Is there any real Randomness?
What did you mean by that?

Thanks for the comments. Waiting to hear from you.

NRkey Menon said...

Well its just a matter of trust when you know or not whether the reality you might chose is "really real" or not.

By individuality and randomness, what I meant was that does everything happen coz its programmed to happen or do some things happen just like that(?). All events in life are interconnected through a web n all it seems sometimes. But does each n every thing have to be related to everything else...much like a C program. All functions exist in a single program. Or maybe thats a really bad example. Hmmmm...
Well, simply put...does everything have to be scripted??

Aman said...

For me, I think it’s a matter of realization – A state reached by a combination of faith and wisdom. Everything seems to be related to everything else in a sense that there is a collective effect and a collective cause behind any event. But that does not frees an individual of personal responsibility but regardless of the event and situation he finds himself in, he is responsible for taking decisions and actions. Randomness is guaranteed by free will – Which is an unconditional power and authority to use the “gifts” any way we want to.

So everything does not seems to be scripted IMHO. Life might be some sort of an experiment in which entities are given certain powers and abilities and are given free hand to employ them any way they want to use them. It’s all so confusing.

Hope I was on topic and coherent enough to get my point across. Looking forward to your opinion.

NRkey Menon said...

Yeah man, coherent to the point.
And you're pretty clear about it. I'm impressed.

Quaintzy Patchez said...

I liked the AI part!! :D

You know there's a joke going around (pardon my saying it at such a serious debate about reality v/s virtuality)

A: "Why are you in AI?"
B: "Seemed natural. I have no _real_ intelligence!"

Aman said...

I think I'm gonna tinker a bit with these poems. I think I can improve upon them.

Aman said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Poesy Child Keya said...

Hi! I just went through a couple of your works.. they are just amazing.. but it seems you no more write here... where do you write then? Where can I read more of your stuff?